Man Gets 16 Years In Prison For Port-A-Potty Sexual Penetration

Date


NAPA, CA — A Bay Area man convicted by a Napa County jury last month of sexually penetrating women by force while they used port-a-potties was sentenced Tuesday to 16 years and eight months in California state prison. Peterson Fontes, 42, of Richmond, received the maximum sentence from Napa County Superior Court Judge Scott Young, Napa County District Attorney Allison Haley said Tuesday.

Jurors found Fontes guilty Dec. 10 of two counts of sexual penetration by force, one count of second-degree burglary and one count of vandalism in the crimes committed in May 2019 at two Bay Area music festivals: BottleRock Napa Valley and a street fair/music festival in Alameda County.

The jury also found true a special allegation that the amount of damage caused by the vandalism was over $400.

Find out what’s happening in Napa Valleywith free, real-time updates from Patch.

According to prosecutors, Fontes cut holes into the back of portable toilets and then digitally — meaning with his fingers — penetrated two women, both of whom testified during the trial.

Fontes was arrested when he was caught behind the porta-potties at BottleRock Napa Valley, a three-day music festival held annually over Memorial Day weekend at Napa Valley Expo in Napa.

Find out what’s happening in Napa Valleywith free, real-time updates from Patch.

“This defendant exhibited an extreme and reprehensible degree of criminal sophistication and planning in carrying out these sexual assaults,” said Napa County Deputy District Attorney Kristen Orlando, who led the county’s prosecution of Fontes.

“He meticulously placed holes in handicap porta-potties at busy events and preyed on unsuspecting women during their most private moments, when they were at their most vulnerable,” Orlando said.

Napa Police Department Detective Brandt Keown headed up the investigation of Fontes, while Napa County District Attorney Investigators Ana Baber and Sharon Fong assisted in the prosecution.

The county’s Sexual Assault Victim Services provided advocacy for the survivors.

“The sentence this court imposed was the maximum sentence the law permits,” Orlando said. “We hope that it provides the survivors some well-deserved closure, and are grateful that it will ensure that they, and the community, are safe from this defendant for as long as possible.”


Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.

We’ve removed the ability to reply as we work to make improvements. Learn more here

To request removal of your name from an arrest report, submit these required items to arrestreports@patch.com.



Source link

More
articles